Emma Grace Cole
Nickname: Unknown (Elle)
Alternative Name: Unknown
Remains found: Little Lass Baseball Fields, Smyrna, Delaware, USA
Date recovered: September 13, 2019
Abandoned By: Unknown (Police arrested her step-father and mother)
Skeletal remains of an unidentified little girl (‘Baby Elle’) were found by a dog-walker in Smyrna, Delaware, USA. The body was on the grounds of the Little Lass Baseball Field near the Duck Creek Parkway.
The report came in the late afternoon around 4:30pm (16:30). She had been dead for several weeks, perhaps more than a month.
There is evidence that there was a fire near the crime scene.
Police did not find a missing child notice that matches the description of this child; it appears their death or disappearance was never reported to American police.
*Update October 2020
The child has been identified as Emma Cole, a three year old toddler.
Two “persons of interest” have been taken into custody including Brandon Lee Haas (38) and his wife Kristie Lynn Haas (28).
Emma’s Mother – Kristie Lynn
In 2016, a paternity dispute arose in Indiana between Kristie Lynn Cole and J. over Emma Grace Cole. Court records describe Kristie as (Female, Black, 5′ 2″, 115 lbs) and as a resident of Delaware. J. was an Indiana resident.
The court approved a paternity test on May 10, 2016, which returned positive. J. requested to modify the custody agreement, but the court refused. He was ordered to pay Child Support.
July 8, 2016, a new case was brought before the Indiana courts to discuss the guardianship of Emma. J. again sought to gain custody. Multiple attempts were made to contact Kristie but documents were frequented returned as “undeliverable”.
The court refused J.’s claim and Emma was placed under the guardianship of Tanya. (Aunt on J.’s Side).
On August 12, 2016, J. posted a photo of him and baby Emma to Facebook describing her as “my daughter. . . shes mine and i love her”.
On June 22, 2017 Kristie filed a petition to cancel the guardianship. On September 26, 2017 the court agreed and Kristie assumed custody once again.
These Court Records are Public and Can be Found on the Indiana Court Site under Case #53C07-1607-GU-000091 and Case #53C07-1602-JP-000118
Kristie and Brandon Haas were married in 2017 and were living on New North Street in Smyrna, Delaware a short distance from the softball field where Emma’s remains were recovered.
Most of the information known about Kristie comes from her Facebook Pages. Kristie lists herself as a wife and mother of four. Brandon also has a Facebook page where his profession is listed as journeyman.
Both used to be residents of Smyrna but were currently living in Pennsylvania and are under arrest outside of Delaware. The Pennsylvania judge set bail at $1 Million and charges were later established of child abuse, endangering the welfare of a child, second-degree assault, reckless burning, and desecration of a corpse.
*Update May 2021
Kristie’s charges were upgraded in May 2021 to two counts of murder by abuse or neglect.
It is important to remember that in the American court system people are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Nothing in this article is intended to suggest that Kristie or Brandon are in any way actually responsible for Emma’s death. That will not be for the public to decide and people should wait for the police to handle the matter. Rather it is intended to present the details that have been shared with the public.
- Date of Birth: Unknown
- Age at Death: 3 Years Old
- Ethnicity: Mixed (African American + Caucasian)
- Nationality: American
- Gender at Birth: Female
- Hair: Light Brown, Slightly Wavy, Mid-Long
- Eye Color:
Distinguishing Marks or Factors
If You or Anyone You Know Has Information About The Incident, Please Contact Det. Bill Davis with the Smyrna Police Department at (+1) 302 653-3490 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333
- 6ABC News (2020) ‘Police identify child remains found in Delaware and the 2 people in custody’, 9 October. Available from: Link
- Help ID Me (2020) ‘Baby Elle’s Name Remains a Mystery After One Year’, 18 September. Available from: Link.
- Hughes, I., Parra, E., and Horn, B. (2020) “Pa. couple arrested in connection with child remains found in Smyrna, police ID girl”, Delaware Online, 8 October. Available from: Link
- National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (2019) ‘Jane Doe 2019’. Available from: Link.
- CBS3 Staff (2019) ‘Human Remains Of Child Believed To Be Under 10 Discovered At Baseball Field In Smyrna, Police Say’, CBS Local Philadelphia, 14 September. Available from: Link
- 1st State Update (2020) ‘Child Found Deceased At Smyrna Ball Field Remains Nameless, Latest’, 16 January. Available from: Link
- NamUS (2019) ‘Case File: NamUs #UP61582’. Available from Link
- Sepúlveda, A. (2020) ‘Pareja arrestada por muerte de niña en Delaware’, Telemundo 62, 9 October. Available from: Link.
- Chang, D. (2020) ‘Couple Arrested in Connection to Death of Girl Whose Remains Were Found in Del. Softball Field’, NBC 10 Philadelphia, 9 October. Available from: Link
- Reid, A. (2021) ‘Mother Kristie Haas Charged With Murder Of Daughter 3-Year-Old Emma Cole Whose Remains Found In Smyrna Softball Field In 2019’, CBS Philly, 4 May. Link.